INGREDIENTSServes 3 People
Total Preparation Time – 10 minutes
- Brinjal / Eggplant – 1 (I used the big purple one it weighed nearly 220 grams, you can use the smaller white or purple brinjals)
- Thick Curd / Unflavored Yogurt – 1 cup (250 grams)
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Asafoetida / Hing – 3 pinches
- Skinned black gram / Urad dal – 1/2 spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 spoon
- Salt – As per taste
- Oil – 5 spoons
- Beat curd well until smooth and set aside.
- Wash brinjal / eggplant well in water and chop into cubes and place it in a bowl of water to avoid browning and set aside.
- Place a pan on flame and pour oil into it. After it heats up add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add Skinned black gram (urad dal / ulutham paruppu) and saute until the black gram turns slightly brownish.
- Now add dry red chillies, asafoetida and saute for a few seconds on low flame.
- Then add the chopped brinjal, salt and saute well on low flame until it gets cooked well, it may take 3 to 5 minutes.
- Then add the curd and mix well. Check for salt add if needed and remove from flame immediately.
TIP 2: After adding curd remove from flame after a few seconds. Do not cook after adding curd just give a stir or two and remove from flame.