Any greens are good for health. When it comes to coriander I get delighted cos of its exotic fragrance. Whether its chutney, rasam, dosa or the rice, coriander leaves makes it extra special. It really makes this rice an awesome dish. The addition of chana dal and urad dal for this rice gives a nice flavor for it. You can try this wenever you have it a little extra coriander on your refridgerator.
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Green peas – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Chana dal / kadala paruppu – 1 tsp
Urad dal / uzhunnu parippu – 1/2 tsp
Hing / Asafoetida – a generouns pinch
Curry leaves – a few
Roasted cashewnuts – a handful
Chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Fresh coriander leaves – 1 cup
Chopped onions – 1, medium
Green chillies – 2 adjust to spice level
1. Soak the basmati rice in some water for 20 mins and cook in sufficient water until the rice is cooked well, yet firm. I usually use Rice :water ratio as 1:1 1/2
2. Grind the ingredients for the coriander paste with little water.
3. Heat oil for tempering and roast the chana dal and urad dal until golden brown. Add the curry leaves and hing and mix well.
4. Now add the ground coriander paste and blend well adding enough salt. Throw in the green peas and let it simmer for 2-3 mins.
5. Switch off fire and mix in the rice while the paste is still hot.
6. Garnish with roasted cashewnuts and chopped coriander leaves.
7. Serve hot with your favorite sidedish/raita.